Volunteer Opportunities and Service Positions
Please read and see how you can volunteer- we need you!
Liaisons: A liaison attends a monthly meeting with John and Hope to look at what is happening that month at Horizons. This information is then disseminated to the classroom parents. A liaison is a teacher’s helper, often setting up classroom parties, field trips, etc. Teachers will ongoingly have projects for liaisons but other than attending monthly meetings, the time commitment is not extensive. We are also looking for a Liaison Coordinator. This person will submit minutes to John and disseminate info to the liaisons to distribute on their classes.
Lost & Found Coordinator: Goes through our school Lost & Found, returning everything labeled, keeping it organized and clean. 2-3 times/year displaying items in preparation for donation.
Council Childcare: We need one or two folks to provide childcare during our school Council (see school calendar) and other evening events. Generally this takes about 2 hours of time (6:30-8:30 PM) and is a paid position.
District Committee Service:
District Accountability Committee. The District Accountability Committee, (DAC), is a legally constituted committee of representatives from the Boulder Valley School District (BVSD). DAC representation includes at least one person involved in business in the community located within BVSD, and a parent, teacher, or administrator from each school within the district. DAC meets for a once-a-month evening meeting.
District Parent Council: The Boulder Valley District Parent Council (DPC) provides a monthly forum and lively exchange of ideas for all schools in Boulder Valley School District.
The DPC is made up of one representative from every school in the district. We meet with the Superintendent of Schools and discuss relevant topics that affect the students and schools of BVSD. DPC meetings are held one Wednesday night of every school month at 6:30 p.m. in the PDC of the BVSD Education Center located at 6500 Arapahoe, Boulder, CO 80303
District Reps will report meeting highlights to Horizons at the monthly Horizons Council meetings.
Horizons Committees: please consider volunteering on a Horizons Council Committee. There is always room for new ideas and energy. They Include:
Horizons Community Group – to build a social network of parents, to schedule educational opportunities such as parenting talks, book groups, speaker nights, grade level parent’s nights out, carnival, etc. HCG also serves pizza every Friday at dismissal. VOLUNTEERS are needed to help with pizza-serving. Email Callie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity & Inclusion – to research & recommend /develop inclusive and multi-cultural practices in the school
Green Team: The Horizons’ Green Team strives to reduce the ecological footprint of the school and promote environmentally-sustainable practices, and in so doing, promote the emotional, academic and physical well-being of the Horizons community, and foster a positive relationship with school neighbors.
Horizons Board Committees:
The Finance Committee
- Provides direction for the Board and Council for fiscal responsibility.
- Regularly reviews the organization’s revenues and expenditures, balance sheet, tax returns, investments and other matters related to its continued solvency.
- The Finance Committee shall be responsible for the oversight of all of Horizons’ financial affairs and of investments made by Horizons and shall verify that investments are made in accordance with the investment policies and guidelines of Horizons.
- Prepares the annual budget. Submits supplemental budget to Council, and full budget to Board for approval.
- Serves as the school’s audit committee and commissions the audit. Creates a subcommittee should the auditor need a point of contact.
- Reviews the management recommendation letter from the auditor and ensures follow up on any issues mentioned.
- Reviews the financial policies annually and recommends any needed changes to the full board.
The Development Committee
- The Development Committee shall be responsible for guiding and reviewing the fundraising, marketing and promotion of Horizons and the development of a sound financial base for Horizons’ programs and activities.
- Reviews policies relating to the Development of long-term financial resources for the school.
- Prepares for Council discussion any proposed policies for development of financial resources, including capital campaigns, fundraising for annual operating support, gift acceptance and disposition, non-profit or profit making earned income subsidiaries, planned giving, or special events.
- Reviews policies relating to marketing activities that generate earned income and complement development efforts.
- Develops and monitors annual fundraising plan and timeline per the budgeting timeline.
- Review annual fundraising materials.
- Participates in planning, organizing, hosting and/or sponsoring fundraising activities that support fundraising for annual operating purposes.
- Oversees and integrates Council fundraising.
Meets quarterly to support the purchases and direction of our educational technology here at Horizons K-8.