In the past several emails that I’ve sent to you, I have typed the words “Horizons Community”. As I’ve typed these two words, I’ve often wondered who I am referring to.
Here is, who I believe, the Horizons Community encompasses:
- Students: you are the lifeblood of Horizons. We serve you and help you navigate your hopes, fears, and dreams. We are committed to help you work through childhood and early adulthood. We are here for you- in good times and bad. We will prepare you for the future and provide you with the academic and social/emotional skills necessary to make the world a better place. This is our commitment to you.
- Parents/Guardians: you are the mentors and caretakers of our students. You provide love and guidance that shape our students’ world. We could not do our work without you.
- Teachers and Staff: you not only provide our students with rich and relevant academic experiences but also provide them with the social and emotional skills they need to be successful and ultimately, thrive. We are forever indebted to you for your service.
- Siblings: you probably don’t know it, but you have a huge impact on the students of Horizons. You model behavior, love, and care for our students- regardless of if you are an older or younger sibling.
- Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, Cousins & other Family members: you impart wisdom and provide our students with love and compassion.
- Friends: you are always there for the students and families of Horizons. We are indebted to you for the unconditional support you provide to our families.
- Horizons Alumni: you have shaped Horizons into the school it is today. Several of you visit Horizons and offer your services to mentor our students and volunteer at the school. We appreciate your efforts very much.
- Neighbors, Faith Groups, Community Organizations: you coach, mentor, and advise our students. Your contribution to our community is greatly appreciated and we look forward to continuing to support and work with you in the future.
So, when we talk about the “Horizons Community”, we should think about all of these groups that are an integral part of our students’ lives.
You all are a part of the Horizons Community!