Horizons K-8 School AfterCare Program
Due to COVID, the Horizons AfterCare program is not taking place. Our Enrichment afternoons follow a similar philosophy with all restrictions in place. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
AfterCare is a drop-in after school program for Horizons’ students, Kindergarten through grade 8. Although most students who attend AfterCare do so on a regular basis. It is also a safe and fun place that welcomes all Horizons’ students whenever a need arises. Although AfterCare is a fee-based program, we are happy to make financial arrangements when requested.
The mission of AfterCare’s program is to provide a safe and caring environment for students to enjoy themselves and build community through various choice-based activities, projects and play. It is also a place in support of schoolwork, in which homework that would otherwise be done at home can be completed or started. Finally, it is an enrichment program that enhances social skills, encourages friendships, and supports student-directed learning, choice, and exploration.
AfterCare includes opportunities that are both core (developing specific skills and abilities) and extracurricular (enrichment activities). Core opportunities involve inside and outside play-based skills. Enrichment opportunities enhance students’ interests, skills or abilities outside of regular curriculum offerings.
Provide a safe Environment for Kids
- After School Care providers are properly trained and prepared for possible emergency situations according to state regulations
- Guidelines, rules, procedures are communicated to children
- Students are consistently supervised
- Attendance procedures and sign-in/out logs are maintained daily
- Communication is maintained with family in person, phone or email
Provide Enrichment Opportunities
- Provide enrichment opportunities that enhance fine motor skills in art, crafts, and construction
- Provide opportunities for gross motor skills with outside (and inside)movement and play
- Offer a variety of opportunities that develop Emotional Intelligence, including social/emotional skills, cooperation skills, and community building
Provide School Support
- Provide homework support for students
- Offer interactive activities/games that support basic learning skills
- Concepts such as sportsmanship, sharing, teamwork, and cooperative action and safety
- Outdoor play and exploration with nature such as sand & rock construction/deconstruction and imaginative play integrating rocks, trees, plants, sand, picnic tables, and/or garden
- Outdoor play on and with climbing structures, swings, outer fields, basketball and more
- Indoor play and exploration in the gym with scooters, a variety of balls, building buckets and more
Occasional computer/Chromebook access allows students to exercise computing skills, including word processing, internet research, typing practice, interactive educational technology tools, and games.
Arts & Crafts
Art materials available each day include markers, color pencils, coloring pages, a variety of paper, pencils, glue, scissors, beads, collage supplies, and more. Twice yearly, we also offer Clay Creations with our Friday program.
Friday & Adventure Days
Please note that hot lunch is not served on Fridays or Adventure Days. Parents must provide a generous lunch, snack, and water bottle for these longer days.
On Fridays and Adventure Days, special Arts & Crafts may include Clay Creations with kiln-firing clay, Model Magic, Sculpty, Fuse-Beads, painting, themed art projects, sewing, and more.
It is the student’s responsibility to let staff know when they have homework and any support needed. Unless directed by parents, AfterCare staff will always give students the opportunity to choose to do homework or otherwise. AfterCare can provide homework support within our ability and availability.
Fridays and Adventure Days we usually will offer a movie option after lunch. We show G and PG movies chosen together by students and staff (Specific movies may be noted on Adv Day registration). Please let us know your preference for your child’s exposure in the space provided with registration.
Adventure Days are full-days of AfterCare offered during both fall and spring conferences. Adventure Days are often theme-based, offering a variety of games, art projects, and activities. Because these are long days, we also usually will have a movie option after lunch. We always have outside and/or gym options throughout most of the day so that students who stay the entire day have opportunities to run and play between (and instead of) seated activities.
Adventure Days run 8:15 am -6:00 pm and charged by the hour. Students may join us before and after conferences, however, if we are on a field trip, parents must arrange for pick-up and/or drop off at our location.
Music and Other Classes/Activities
After school band, orchestra, and/or choir are not part of the AfterCare program, however, students may attend AfterCare before or after music instruction or classes such as those offered by Lifelong Learning during regular AfterCare hours. This also pertains to soccer and/or other sports programs offered after school apart from AfterCare, but on school grounds.
Horizons K8 Hours:
Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Fridays 12:45 pm – 6:00 pm
Adventure Days (offered during K-6 Conferences) – 8:15 am – 6:00 pm