● Introductions and Council Procedures
○ Concordance and Communication Policies
○ Open Forum
■ CCC = Cares, Concerns, Celebrations (another way to think about Open Forum
■ Judy: week of next Council meeting Book Fair in the Hub
■ Jim: this Thursday, 6:307:30ish 16 Middleschool acts in the Variety Show.
Come and see them all!
■ Cece: Group of wonderful kids will be leading GOCO grant site visit Tuesday,
■ Carin: Fundraising update: Plea to all of us to ask our communities to participate
in the auction. We set a goal of raising $10,000 more than we have in the past,
because we need it. We raised $50k in the past, and we are trying for $60k this
year. But knowing that our community is finite, try to ask other people that you
know to come also. We are also still looking for volunteers to work at the auction
we depend on volunteers there are still tasks to fill. Kateri adds that we have
REALLY GREAT auction items. There will be deals to be had. At the front
entrance there are ads to see some of the items that will be offered. Also keep
looking for more items. The rest of the catalog will be posted online by tomorrow.
There will be more put on display, especially keep a look out for all those
wonderful getaways that we have this year!
■ John: as you know from budget updates from Ron, we are still in a tenuous place
these monies will be really critical for the current and future operations of the
school We really appreciate your support. Plus it’ll be lots of fun. You don’t actually
have to show up to bid. You can email the info to your neighbor, your inlaws, etc,
and volunteers will bid on their behalf!
■ NIcole: on Tuesday after action, 16th, the 2/3 performance will be really fun!
■ Rosemary: Plea from Melinda Kassen, who has been doing Council Budget. Her
son is graduating and we cannot keep her around any longer. We are looking for
another parent or staff to fill that position. If anyone would like more info, speak to
Rosemary or Ron and they would be happy to fill you in. We try to elect that person
at the April meeting. Tracy says it’s the best position!
■ Rosemary: K/1 show DVDs available.
■ John: a neighbor came by the other day. Thought about August 17 prelabor labor
day. She lives locally and is planning a block party for the neighborhood and
wants to have a square dance with a caller, and would coordinate it with the same
day as our work day.
● Discussion Items
● Bylaws Update: Information will be presented to the community regarding the proposed
amended bylaws. A proposal to adopt the new bylaws will be made at the April 18th Council
Meeting. There will be a Q&A in preparation for concordance.
○ Wanted to get them organized and understandable by a “normal” person
○ In addition, we need to incorporate as a nonprofit
○ Kevin and his law firm are working probono to prepare for nonprofit incorporation and
crafting the language in the bylaws
○ John, Cece, Nel, Jim, Sally, Ron, Rosemary, Kevin, on bylaws committee. Joe Davis
from Sherman & Howard L.L.C. has provided pro bono legal work in preparation of the
○ <links here for bylaws; from April 4 email from Rosemary McKnight>
■ Bylaws Committee Report_2013_final_final.pdf
■ Horizons K8 Bylaws ver5.pdf
■ Attachment to Articles of Incorportation_ver5.pdf
■ HORIZONS COUNCIL BYLAWS_July_08.pdf
○ Will have move for concordance on April 18
○ Recent legislation in CO requires Charter Schools to be incorporated as nonprofit
○ Now will be Horizons K8 School, Inc
○ Will be asking for approval for bylaws, articles of incorporation, and seeking charitable
■ will take a 68 month wait from IRS for 501(c)(3) taxexempt or charitable
○ Any changes will have to be approved by BVSD through our charter, but they want this to
happen. We will inform them, so that this doesn’t “surprise them.”
○ As a nonprofit, do we have a fundraising obligation?
○ Conflict of interest discussion about salaries, etc
■ This will likely be a formality we are checking this
■ In order to be a charity, some amount needs to be raised, but any amount that
comes from government agency is covered, so since most of our monies comes
from the government, we should be fine
■ charitable funds cannot be used to benefit individuals
■ employees of nonprofits have to be insulated
■ making sure final decisions about faculty/employee pay must be made by parent
members so that financial benefits are not a conflict of interest
■ mainly trying to avoid having staff in situation of having staff approve the budget
that funds their salaries
■ who will approve salaries?
● recommendation from finance review
● final approval by board with faculty member recusing themselves
● this is solely a district budget issue
● Council would still approve council budget part
■ Makeup of board would change to be 5 parents and 5 faculty members plus 2
atlarge directors who aren’t required, but could be there (they are neither faculty
● parent board member could not be more than 20% employed by the
● also job of Board would change
school (small scale employee)
○ in past, mainly interviewed and hired
■ is there a conflict of interest if teachers aren’t voting? do we have to change to 5/5
● felt that it’s a little draconian too much for parents to make decision with
● want to get close enough with faculty involved and presenting info and
no faculty input
staying in discussions, therefore it’s important to keep it 50/50 so that
while faculty are in on the discussion there is still an even split
■ what is problem with faculty being more?
● another reason we looked at: parents asked about uneven council board
● but now we can’t fail to approve a budget because one person is holding
makeup in past: In concordance model we said we didn’t need even
balance because each voice/vote counts
out; we need an “escape clause”; we’ve got to have something like a
“super majority” clause in the bylaws so that we can move ahead and
pass a budget in these cases. If there is a majority vote, and even board is
IRS will look at this and we may lose our taxexempt status
have a different makeup, like the old 6/4 makeup of faculty/parents
● main issue and main reason for a 50/50 split is a legal / taxexempt issue;
● Could still have committees of this board, like a hiring committee that could
■ In the past we have been on the BVSD payscale, and haven’t had to have salary
budget decisions in the past. But this would be required even if we were still on
■ Also about governance issues separate from operational issues
● Basically operational things like hiring, etc can be covered in committees
■ Could we change 5/5 to another number? Yes but it’s the 50/50 split that we want.
■ Who would be on the board? right now we have one from each team, who
wouldn’t be on it?Example: each team, but not the lead teacher
● goal of one per team, but not a requirement in the current bylaws
● without lead teacher, who is asked to manage some of the district budget
● lead teacher could still be in the whole part of the discussions, attend all of
and the makeup of those could be different for each
information, but not asked to be part of the final decision making for that
the meetings, but just would not be in the final vote.
○ would be surprised that much would change
○ lead teacher could still serve as “staff” to the board, and could
possibly know more about the budget than the board would. That is
very typical of many large nonprofits.
● also have to follow Open Meeting Law.
○ could go into executive session, but could not make decision in
○ yes discussion could still happen in executive session
■ Finance committee has never had budget kicked back to make changes,
because we have a lot of input. I think we will still have a lot of input and be open
to everyone. This district budget recommendation will now go to the council board
instead of faculty, but I don’t anticipate it becoming a fight because it hasn’t in the
■ Also, having our own taxexempt number will be a benefit for getting grants in the
■ Thinking about atlarge positions? John has been on boards with atlarge
positions. It’s good to get people who really care about giving back, and could
connect us. Also, alumni can help out, and granting organizations.
■ Thanks for the help to Joe Davis at Sherman & Howard
● Calendar: Update from John
○ Very brief. Faculty will meet this Friday to talk about some possible changes
○ We voted at the last meeting about same start date, end date as BVSD.
■ Also from DAC. District busing. District spends a lot more than other districts. Will
go back year after next to 3 staggered start times.
● Open Enrollment: A proposal will be made to adopt an amended Open Enrollment
policy. A draft of the proposed amended policy is at the end of the agenda. Please see
http://bvsd.org/policies/Policies/JECCR.pdf (page 6) for the current policy.
○ Rosemary summarized the discussion from the minutes of January 17 and February 21
○ Sally summarized most recent proposal: Notice that it has changed back to include the
○ Is the 10 hour intended to apply to the first bullet point too?
○ Timing question of new hires?
○ PROPOSAL: as wordsmithed and written below
“visiting” or “temporary” employees.
■ It hasn’t happened much in the past
■ We hire the best that we can. We hope they might stay. We want to sustain them
as much as possible. That has been our practice, that we want their child to stay
on if they can stay. It helps us get the best people. Especially now that we are not
paying the same rate, this will help us get the best candidates each year.
■ Temporary is temporary. Actually we are all temporary, We all only have 1 year
contracts. We all renew our contracts every year.
■ No it is not supposed to apply to that.
■ usually new hire will have to wait until fall open enrollment period, and child starts
the next summer
■ No concordance first time around
● to exclude “temporary” employees
● number of teachers children could reach some “percent” so that community
could feel there is an opportunity to get it
● discussion of nonfaculty/staff, we are changing their benefit; we should
● also consider making sibling preference equal to teacher preference
● motion related to setting up a committee with reps from the appropriate
● Horizons is a publicly funded charter school to serve BVSD student
● It is confusing to tell Council that all faculty positions are temporary.
● Are we going away from corevalues of school? Teachers founded school
● Not everyone feels heard in this process
● Cochairs decide Concordance has not and will not be met. This issue will
apply it equally to staff and faculty. it’s a benefit to staff, faculty and parents,
and it should be applied equally
○ if we want a 1 year wait period, let’s apply it equally
○ remove 2nd year from staff, add .5 FTE to faculty, and make
siblings equal also
stakeholders, i.e. faculty, staff, parents, to look at the whole policy and
come back to council with a recommendation.
population with very few spots. we get families with siblings who can’t get
in for some years and that’s hard on families. We should be logical in the
policy. No logic in offering a preference to temporary employees. when we
tell a 1yeartemporary hire that this is a 1 year position we are clear that
the job is only available for one year.. If someone accepts the job with that
knowledge, why give their child a place for this exception? The child would
not get admission to the school until after the temporary hire had left.
Oneyear temporary hires to cover eg a leave of absence are told their
position is for 1 year only. If a longterm position opens up, they have to
reinterview for the readvertised position. Longterm “permanent” faculty
have the expectation that their contract is annually renewable depending
on funding and performance.
○ Would want to add “temporary” exception to the first bullet. So that
“permanent” employee could benefit.
and we want teachers who feel comfortable being here.
○ As per the bylaws cochairs can decide when concordance cannot
not be tabled and brought to a 4th meeting, because we need to move on
with bylaws and calendar. This is moved to council board. This will be an
open meeting and will be announced to the community.
● 8:00 Subcommittee Reports (Please limit reports to 5 minutes or less)
■ Finance Review… planned to present at April 18th Council meeting
■ Fundraising Auction update … presented at open Forum
■ DAC, District Advisory Committee will present on Apr 18th
■ DPC, District Parent Committee will present on Apr 18th
■ Grants Committee GOCO update … presented at Open Forum
■ SEAC, Special Education Advisory Committee will present on Apr 18th
● 8:30 Adjourn
Policy regarding Open Enrollment preference for Horizons Employees
Open Enrollment Employee Preference Clarifications
Enrollment preference, in accordance to BVSD policies, will be given to students who meet the following criteria listed:
To students who are children of employees of the school
In order to be eligible for this preference, employee is defined as:
∙ Be a faculty member in the first or subsequent year of employment in a licensed faculty position,
∙ Be a staff member in the 2nd consecutive or subsequent year of employment, employed at least 10 hours a week
throughout the school year