The meeting of the Council Board of Horizons K-8 School Inc. was called to order at 6:00
p.m. on November 14, 2013 by John McCluskey, Council Co-Chair, at Horizons K-8 School
Directors in Attendance: Laurie Braunstein, Beth Coleman, Jim Freund, Kevin Holst,
Nicole Houser, John McCluskey, Rosemary McKnight, Liz Meador, Ron Wawrzynek, and Nel
Observing: Kirk Washburn
Minutes: The Minutes of the September 3, 2013 Meeting of the Council Board were
modified to note that Joan Truesdale (school book-keeper) and Sally Warren (Faculty
representative) are on the Finance Committee. Jim Freund is not on the Finance Committee.
The modified minutes were unanimously approved.
As a matter of procedure, it was determined that once minutes are approved, they will be
saved as a PDF document available on the Horizons website for public viewing.
Treasurer’s Report: – Ron (full report attached)
1. FY 14 Q1 Budget Results
a. Fund 11 (District Budget) Q1
b. Activity Fund – Q1
2. FY 14 Budget Update
i. $72K BEST Grant Reserve Returned
ii. FY13 Reconcile adjust of $14K (budget positive)
iii. $6K increase in Central Services charges (budget negative)
i. Consider moving New BVSD Fund (Outdoor Ed, Winter Sports) back into
Council Budget – still to be determined
i. FRC seeking clarification on 501(c)(3) reporting requirements
ii. FY14 Budget Process – Revised budgets will need BOD and Council
Approval prior to January 31, 2013
Principal’s Report: – John
1. Thank you to Liz and Rosemary for reviewing and updating the Horizons Employee
2. Unified Improvement Plan Draft has been submitted to BVSD. Attached.
3. GOCO grant update: Flood has delayed progress. Forecasting summer 2014
Construction of playground.
1. FRC will review compensation schedule and policies and present to Parent Board at
2. Finance Committee recommends that the remaining BEST funds be put into Council
Reserves where it originated.
3. Recommend hiring new evening Custodian, Bevo Beavin
4. Revisit Hiring Procedure, get input from League of Charter Schools representatives
5. BVSD is doing some visioning work for school buildings – please provide input on 21st
Century School Visioning google doc.
6. Recommendation to use Capital Improvement funds of $28K for Safety surfacing under
new play structure and Cork Boards on new wing hallway walls.
7. Request Board consider having Horizons parent and CPA, Bill Cline prepare our 2013
taxes for the 501.
Moved to Executive Session at 8pm to discuss personnel matters
Determination of non-licensed hire
Exited Executive Session at 8.15pm
1. Motion made to approve to approve hiring new school Counselor, Jeremy Dion.
Unanimously passed by the Board.
2. Motion made to approve joining the League of Charter Schools at a cost of $1700/year
pending approval of the Faculty Board. Unanimously passed by the Board.
3. Motion to hire Bevo Beavin as Evening Custodian. Unanimously passed by the Board.
Adjournment. There being no further business to come before the Council Board, the
meeting of the Council Board adjourned at approximately 8:30 p.m. The next Council
Board Meeting will be held at Horizons at 6:00 p.m. on December 12, 2013.
Board Member, Secretary