The first meeting of the Council Board of Horizons K-8 School Inc. was called to order
on May 16, 2013 by John McCluskey, Council Co-Chair, at Horizons K-8 School at 9:15 p.m.
The first meeting followed the adjournment of Council meeting.
1. Directors in Attendance. Laurie Braunstein, Daniel Conroy, Cheri Felix, Jim
Freund, Kevin Holst, Nichole Houser, John McCluskey, Rosemary McKnight, Ron Wawrzynek,
and Nel Woller. Absent: Beth Coleman (prior obligation) and Lead Teacher (VACANT)
2. Officer Elections.
consent of the Directors:
Motion to approve the following officer positions was affirmed by unanimous
• Daniel Conroy – Parent Co-chair
• John McCluskey – Principal
• Vice Chairs – Jim Freund and Rosemary McKnight
• Treasurer – Ron Wawrzynek
• Secretary – Kevin Holst to serve on an interim basis
3. Organizational Proposals.
Motion to approve the following proposals was affirmed by unanimous consent of
• Authorize Horizons K-8 School, an unincorporated nonprofit corporation,
to formally incorporate as a nonprofit corporation with the Colorado
Secretary of State as approved by Council on April 18, 2013;
• Approve the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the corporation in
substantially the form presented to the Council on April 18, 2013;
• Allow the corporation to seek tax exempt status with the Internal Revenue
• Approve any technical modifications to the existing Charter Agreement
with Boulder Valley School District that may be required as a result of the
incorporation of Horizons K-8 School as a nonprofit corporation.
4. Organizational filings. Per the School’s existing charter contract with BVSD,
the School’s articles and bylaws have been delivered to BVSD for review and approval. Upon
approval, Sherman & Howard L.L.C. will file the requisite organizational documents with the
Colorado Secretary of State and commence preparation of necessary IRS filings.
Mr. Conroy inquired as to whether technical modifications to the charter require
approval of the School’s Council. The Directors agreed to discuss and determine if any changes
received from BVSD are technical versus substantive. If necessary, the Council Board will seek
comment from its legal counsel.
5. Principal Evaluation. The Directors discussed the current evaluation process of
the Principal. Mr. Conroy, Mr. Freund, Ms. Houser, and Ms. McKnight to confer with Mr.
McCluskey regarding the current process and future evaluation criteria for all staff, faculty, and
6. Faculty and Staff Hiring. Stacy Minster was hired for Middle School – Science.
Katie Miles was hired for Middle School – LA History. Sarah Brookes was hired for Middle
School – LA History. Mr. McCluskey advised that remaining that open positions are as follows:
Lead Teacher, Elementary Spanish, and Elementary Technology. Hiring committees by position
will be approved by Council Board at future date.
7. Adjournment. There being no further business to come before the Council
Board, the first meeting of the Council Board adjourned at approximately 10:30 p.m. The next
Council Board Meeting will be held at the School on May 29, 2013 at 8:00 a.m.