MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF
Board of Horizons K-8 School
Date: March 9, 2017
Facilitators: John McCluskey and Andrea Foote
Timekeeper: Peter Hegelbach
Welcome and C C C (Cares, Concerns, Celebrations)
Katie, Lynn, Aubrey, Julie, and Peter have started the Harvard ‘Teach for Understanding’ course. The Grade 1-4 Arts and Science sharing was successful with a high parent turnout.
Call to Order:
John McCluskey, Frank Bruno, Peter Hegelbach, Jim Freund, Nichole Houser, Kelly Garrison, Shannon Hassan, Anne Hudson, Beth Coleman, Andrea Foote
Approval of minutes:
The Board reviewed the February 9, 2017 meeting minutes with one change of wording.
M&S: Motion to approve the February 9, 2017 Minutes. Motioned seconded. Minutes approved.
Finance Review Report
- February Updates
- Finance committee met; the supplemental budget was discussed. The supplemental budget was necessary after Fund 62 Mill money became available; $107K to be allocated to Horizons. These funds will be freed up from Fund 11 that will now be used for IT and custodial expenses.
- Furniture and climbing wall are proposed budget capital needs for Fund 62 money. The proposed climbing wall cost is $30k ($10k from parent fundraising, $10k approved by Council, $10k from Mill Levy Fund 62).
M&S: Motion to approve the supplemental budget pending faculty approval of climbing wall cost. Motion Seconded. Supplemental Budget Approved
- FY 18 next steps Finance review committee is looking at highlighting budget trends to review in anticipating the FY 18 budget.
- Capital Improvement Funds
- Purchases to be made this week
- Technology Funds purchases to be made this week
Development Committee Report
The Development Committee did not meet since the February meeting. The Wing Ding event will be April 29th at the Rayback Collective.
Technology Committee Report
The following purchases/expenses were identified for the 2017-2019 Proposed Tech Cycle:
166 chromebooks for students, 3 teacher chromebooks, 3 chrome bases, 25 Doc cameras, 33 iPads, 4 iMacs, 5 75” TVs, and 5 TV mounts, Hub projector with installation, Conference room TV install, Tech Lab TV install, 25 chrome charging stations, Discovery for Education, 43 iPad cases, and tech professional development.
Compensation Committee Report
No report for March.
Next steps for proposals to compensation and/or staffing changes for 2017-18:
- Faculty board to present proposals to board in April. The parent board members discussed pay increase of 5.5% (4.5% lock in increase in the salary table for all staff and faculty, and an additional cost of living increase of 1% for all staff and faculty) for FY 18. For hourly employees, more data needs to be researched.
Parent Board members M&S: Motion to approve salary table increase of 4.5% locked in for salary table, with 1% COLA increase, and 1% variable pay increase for FY 18. Motion Seconded. Motion approved.
- Research compensation for hourly employees
Meeting closed at 7:27pm.