MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF
Board of Horizons K-8 School
Date: January 12, 2017
Facilitators: John McCluskey and Andrea Foote
Timekeeper: Andrea Foote
Process Observer: Jill Siegel Stone
Welcome and C C C (Cares, Concerns, Celebrations):
Celebration – Horizons raised $18k on Colorado Gives Day.
Call to Order:
John McCluskey, Andrea Foote, Frank Bruno, Peter Hegelbach, Jim Freund, Nichole Houser, Adam Brink, Kelly Garrison, Shannon Hassan, Anne Hudson, Beth Coleman, Jill Siegel Stone
Approval of minutes:
The Board reviewed the December 2016 Minutes.
M&S: Motion to approve the December 2016 Minutes. Motioned seconded. Minutes approved.
Finance Review Updates
- FY 17 Revised Budget for approval: Staff has been reviewing the budget over the past few weeks and has the revised approved budget for Board review. No substantive changes were made, just minor adjustments. The Board reviewed and discussed details of the documents “1-12-17 FY17 Fund 11 Revised” and “1-12-17 FY17 Council Revised” as well as a document projecting reserves through FY 2019. Additionally, Mill Levy funds will be coming in over the next few months. The Board reviewed the Master FY 17 Council budget. It was proposed that the line item ‘ Paddle Raiser’ be moved to Revenue.
M & S: Motion to approve the FY17 Fund 11 Revised Budget. Motion Approved.
M & S: Motion to approve the Appropriations document. Motion Approved.
Be it resolved by the Horizons K-8 Charter School Board of directors in Boulder County that the amounts shown in the following schedule be appropriated for the ensuing fiscal year beginning July 1, 2016 and ending June 30, 2017.
Fund 11 Operating Expenses 3,765,852
Council Operating Expenses 113,374
Fund 11 Tabor 104,591
Reserved Fund 11 Balance 20,000 (BEST) + 400,852
Council Fund Restricted Reserve 372,318
Total Appropriation 4,776,987
Development Committee Update
- Within Colorado Gives Day revenue, $1550 earmarked for Longview fund
- Moolah campaign has launched, about $40k revenue so far. More advertising planned to increase participation in Moolah campaign.
- The Moolah Video!
- Spring community event will be a party at Rayback Collective, April 29th
Technology Committee Update:
- Lauren and Stacey lead a professional development day on technology big picture vision at Horizons. Several parents who are technology experts in the community have joined the committee.
- Hiring updates: ¾ para position. Erin Stekel has been hired for Adam’s ¾ classroom
- Faculty will meet to discuss mill revenue
- The Board discussed if the compensation committee should meet. The comparison salary schedules will be obtained prior to meeting and made available to committee members. The current members of the compensation committee are: Jim Freund, Frank Bruno, Jill Siegel Stone, Beth Coleman, and John McCluskey will meet January 26, 2017.
- Budget cycle next steps
Action Item: The line item Paddle Raiser to be moved to revenue in the Master Council budget.
Action Item: John will find out if overrides expire.
Action Item: Compensation Committee to meet January 26, 2017
The meeting closed at 7:30.